Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crockpot Shredded Beef Tacos!


This recipe could not be simpler and is SO good! I actually surprised myself! It's perfect for a working mom, or any mom, who needs to just dump the ingredients in the crockpot and go. That's how I came up with it... I had a roast for the crockpot but didn't want stew again (and I know nobody else did either!), so I looked around to see how I could change things up but I only had so many minutes to do so between getting myself and my two boys ready, making breakfasts and lunches, and having to rush out to get to work. I'm sure you know what mornings are like!
I jazzed it up with some fresh ingredients at the end, but those were all just a bonus because I had a few extra minutes in the evening to slice a tomato. Let's be honest sometimes that can be too much to ask! This would also make a super base for something like a beef enchilada casserole or something like that. I'll definitely be browsing Pinterest for some ideas along those lines!

Crockpot Shredded Beef

1 onion, sliced
1 tip roast
1 packet taco seasoning (I used a low sodium one)
1 jar salsa or picante
1 bag frozen corn, optional
1 green pepper, optional
1 pack flour tortillas

the fixins...
fresh tomato
fresh cilantro
grated cheese

Slice the onion and put it on the bottom of the crockpot. Put the roast on top of the onions. Sprinkle the roast with the taco seasoning and then pour the salsa or picante over the top. Easy Peasy! I let mine cook on low for about 8 hours. At around the 6 hour mark, I opened up the crockpot and shredded the beef so it could simmer more and get all flavory throughout. This is also when I threw in the corn and pepper. I added the frozen corn and green pepper mostly because my husband likes veggies more than he likes meat. Feel free to leave them out if you don't have them or don't want them! When it's all done it will look like this....

Scoop it out into some tortillas, add whatever deliciousness you'd like, and chow down!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I'm saving this recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! let me know how it goes and if you change anything up! i was thinking of trying it next with chicken.

    ReplyDelete